Name:

I'm a journalism freshman at MSU, and I hope to eventually publish my own novel one day.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

World Trade Center movie

It has been five years since the 9/11 tragedy. It still seems fairly recent to most of us, especially those that were directly effected by the attacks. Maybe that's why I feel it isn't very respectful to start making movies about it.

First there was the made for TV movie about Flight 93, which was followed by a theatrical version. Now there's going to be a movie depicting two police officers being trapped under the wreckage while rescuers attempt to save them.

I guess they're looking at it as a way to pay tribute to the victims and heroes of that event. A monument would probably be a little more tactful--if they ever build one. I know there have been movies made close to the time where the events they were chronicling were taking place, namely the two World Wars, so it shouldn't seem that unusual...

Still, why do I feel that this is just a way to expose more of the terrible experiences to the media?

Not everyone wanted to see video footage of people jumping from the Towers when the planes crashed. It was terrible enough seeing the Towers collapse. But that was just the news; they're supposed to air these things when they happen. This, on the other hand, is Hollywood. And call me cynical, but this can easily be viewed as an attempt to make money off a tragedy.

I heard that two police officers were disturbed enough to walk out of the theatre during a screening of World Trade Center. I don't know how the rest of the people that lived through that ordeal are going to handle it. Even if some might be all right with this movie being made, others may not be. Chances are, most of them are going to carry those memories with them to their graves. They can't be expected to move on so easily. Think about it: how many of you are willing to let others watch a movie about the most traumatic experience of your life?

I realize that the studio can't count on complete approval for making this movie. There are always going to be people that will be bothered by it. I just hope that they at least considered the feelings and viewpoints of those people before coming up with an idea to make this movie.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject. I could be wrong. Maybe I should see the movie before judging the purposes. But I don't think I will. I see it as my way of respecting the victims of 9/11.

1 Comments:

Blogger psonica said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home