Name:

I'm a journalism freshman at MSU, and I hope to eventually publish my own novel one day.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Remakes that are actually good

In an earlier entry, I stated that I don't like remakes. However, I'm going to have to retract that statement. What I meant to say was that I don't like that remakes are all that Hollywood has been churning out, aside from sequels. Seriously, I think there were more than 10 remakes released this year!

However, not all remakes are bad. Some of them, I am shocked to discover, are actually better than the originals. Actually, that's not much of a compliment when the originals are bad to begin with. Here are a few that were actually good, at least in my opinion:

1) The Mummy- I actually saw the original movie with Boris Karloff, and I have to say that that one sucked. It wasn't just the special effects, it was the script, the characters...not to mention that a dog is killed offscreen. I know it was a different time period and they couldn't afford good special effects, but still, I didn't like it. Boris Karloff did make a very creepy mummy, though. That being said, the 1999 remake with Brendan Fraser was entertaining. The sequel, on the other hand, was inconsistant with the original story.

2) The Parent Trap- Back when Lindsay Lohan was fresh and new, and not just another teen star. Not that Hayley Mills didn't do a good job in the original. Both versions were fine, I just liked this one a little better.

3) King Kong (Peter Jackson remake)- I never saw the original movie, nor did I want to, not because of special effects, but because Fay Wray created the horror movie sterotype of the helpless damsel in distress that would forever hound female characters to come. At least in the new one, the character actually cared for Kong. And this movie didn't glorify the movie team that drags an endangered species from its native land in order to exploit it for cash. Honestly, what do you expect a giant ape to do when you take it to New York, make friends?

4) Bedazzled- Again, never saw the original movie. Still, the one with Brendan Fraser and Elizabeth Hurley was funny.

5) Doctor Doolittle- Ditto.

So, in moderation, remakes and sequels are good. It's just that there are some movies that you should never remake. If the movie world as we know it were ending, all or one of the following would be remade:

1) Citizen Kane
2) Casablanca
3) Amadeus
4) Animal House
5) Gone with the Wind
6) Star Wars (it's already been done to death with the prequels)

If any of these are remade, we should revolt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home